PSB Alpha AM5 Active Bookshelf Speakers
PBS's new AM (Active Monitor) seriees of powered monitors are part of the all-new Alpha Series which has been rebuilt with enhanced custom drivers and a new crossover design that work perfectly together to deliver natural, detailed sound with precision and less distortion. PSB's Alpha Series of loudspeakers offer five other passive models (T20 Tower, P5 Bookshelf, P3 Bookshelf, B1 Bookshelf, and C10 Center) to fit the needs of almost any audio setting. The Alpha Series of speakers offers audiophile sound quality at an affordable price; but not at the expense of appeal, style, and sound.
The Alpha AM5 is a small two-way bookshelf powered bookshelf speaker that connects to almost any source available to fill the room with powerful, crystal-clear sound. Featuring a custom 5.25” (133mm) woofer and aluminium dome tweeter that uses a waveguide to perfectly match the low and high frequencies for a smooth transition, the AM5 delivers improved directivity and flattens the frequency response for a more natural sound. It also leverages specially textured woofer cones and a unique woofer design to extend the bass frequencies even lower and without any distortion.
- Active (powered) design
- Power: 50 watts per channel
- 3/4" anodized aluminum dome tweeter with front waveguide
- 5.25" textured polypropylene woofer with rubber surround
- Multiple content sources including;
- RCA (including turntable)
- USB Source (and charge)
- Subwoofer output
- Magnetically attached grilles
- (W x H x D) 130 x 220 x 174 mm (each)
- Weight: ~3.0 kg (each)
- Colour: Available in either Satin Black or White
The PSB Alpha AM5 is a small two-way bookshelf loudspeaker that fills your room with powerful, crystal-clear sound. Featuring a custom 4.5" woofer and 0.75" aluminum dome tweeter that uses a waveguide to perfectly match the low and high frequencies for a smooth transition, the AM5 delivers improved directivity and flattens the frequency response for a more natural sound.
- 0.75" Aluminum Dome Tweeter w/ Waveguide: The Alpha AM5 bookshelf loudspeaker utilises a 0.75" black anodized aluminum dome tweeter that extends the high-frequency response beyond the Alpha's original measurements and minimises distortion for a rich, balanced listening experience. A waveguide on the front of the tweeter works to perfect on and off-axis performance while smoothing the response for improved resolution and detail. The ferrofluid cooled tweeter on the AM5 has also been precision engineered to sit below the woofer to provide precise stereo imaging at any height.
- 5.25" Polypropylene Woofer w/ Rubber Surround:The Alpha Series bookshelf speaker houses a 4.5" textured polypropylene woofer with rubber surround for accurate mids and bass performance. Featuring a dual layer voice coil with a very powerful magnet structure and a cone that is made from a special textured polypropylene compound the woofer is able to handle high outputs level with low distortion.
Advanced Internal Amplifier
These active monitors leverage decades of expertise from their sister company NAD Electronics to come up with a powerful internal amplifier perfectly tuned to the Alpha speaker drivers to get a perfect blend between the drivers and keep distortion at its lowest even at high volumes.
Bass Reflex Cabinet Design
The Alpha AM5 bookshelf loudspeaker employs a bass reflex cabinet design with a rear-firing port for greater efficiency and bigger, smoother bass response. The speaker cabinet features MDF construction and has a unique combination of wall thickness and bracing to control resonances and provide a perfect platform for the driver components. The cabinet's internal damping material was first used in PSB's most high-end models, and has now been adopted by the Alpha series and positioned precisely for optimum effectiveness. The cabinet is finished in a premium satin finish white or black with a chrome-accented front baffle and includes an acoustically-transparent magnetically attached grille.
The Active Alpha Series bookshelf loudspeakers include self-adhesive rubber feet to safely and securely place the speakers on a tabletop, shelf, or floor-stands (sold separately). The self-adhesive feet add approximately 0.125" to the overall height of the speaker.