Shanling Audio M5s Portable Media Player
The Shanling M5s used to reside at the top of the Shanling portable audio player range, providing powerful sound and high-resolution audio conversion. Armed with a fully balanced audio circuit, high specification audio components and wireless connectivity the M5s proudly held the title of Shanling's flagship DAP for a long time and only recently has been overtaken by the new Shanling M6.
At the core of the Shanling M5s are two AKM AK4493EQ DAC chips incorporated in a fully balanced audio path. Further matched with dual OPA1612 and dual AD8397 operational amplifiers brings the output of the M5s to high-resolution levels. Shanling M5s has been awarded Hi-Res certificate and is able to recreate audio as close to the original recording as possible.
- Portable Hi-Res Audio certified balanced digital audio player
- Supports DSD256 and PCM up to 768kHz/32bit
- Bluetooth with LDAC, aptX and AAC two-way transmission
- Wi-Fi supporting DLNA, Airplay and OTA update
- 2.5mm balanced output and 3.5mm single-ended output
- Support for DSF, DFF, ISO, DXD, APE, FLAC, WAV, AIFF, AIF, DTS, MP3, WMA, ACC, OGG, ALAC, MP2, M4C, AC3, M3U and M3U8
- Powered by two AK4493EQ DAC chips, dual OPA1612 and dual AD8397 amplifiers
- Bi-directional USB type-C serving as USB DAC and Transport
- MTouch 2.0 OS is totally focused on music playback
- 16 hours single ended playback, 9 hours balanced playback
Shanling M5s can also be used either as an external sound card with a computer or as a digital transport of digital-to-analogue convertors. Powered by a large rechargeable Lithium battery, the M5s is able to play up to 16 hours with single-ended connection, and up to 10 hours with balanced output connection.
Compact Design – Ideal For One-handed Operation
With its 3.2 “/ 8.1 cm large, brightly colored touch display from LG, you always have everything in view and everything under control with one hand. Thanks to MTouch 2.0, control is very convenient, as the surface offers customisable quick selection buttons and intelligent gesture control, as well as a new equaliser. All of this is packed in a beautiful metal case with grease and water-repellent glass display.
2-way Bluetooth – Transmitter And Receiver – In The Highest Quality
The Shanling M5s opens up completely new possibilities for listening to music in the best quality. Shanling M5s features a two-way Bluetooth connectivity with LDAC technology that enables data transmission three times faster than standard Bluetooth. AAC and aptX support provides enhanced wireless sound quality with the highest resolution. Wi-Fi connectivity supports DLNA, Airplay and OTA update.
Play music from the maximum 512 GB microSD memory card (not included) via Bluetooth 4.2 and aptX, AAC, or LDAC. Regardless of whether via Bluetooth headphones, Bluetooth speakers, or a Bluetooth receiver, in the car or on your home system.
Even More Flexibility Via WLAN
The Shanling M5s is also extremely versatile when it comes to playing music via WiFi. Not only does it play music from your home NAS via WLAN, it can also do this via AirPlay. You can also keep it permanently and easily up-to-date as it imports firmware updates directly via WLAN.
Symmetrically Designed DAC AKM AQ4493eq
The AKM AK4493EQ convinces with sensationally low noise and distortion values and unbelievable sound quality.
Not to mention that it also converts a variety of formats. It processes a maximum of DSD256 and PCM up to 32 bit and 768 kHz, as well as FLAC, APE, WAV, ACC, ALAC, AC3, and DTS files.
Not Only Can It Do A Lot, It Also Runs For A Long Time
The integrated lithium battery with 3,400 mAh ensures a battery life of up to 17 hours in single-ended operation (up to ten hours in symmetrical use) and up to 45 days in standby. And once the battery is empty, it is fully charged again within three to four hours.
Certified by the Japan Audio Association for its high-resolution audio performance, the M5s has full Hi-Res capability up to 32bit/768kHz files and up to DSD256 (Direct Stream Digital). This means the sound produced by the M5s is a near perfect representation of the original recording.
USB DAC Functionality
Shanling M5s can also be used as an external sound card with a computer or as a digital transport connection of external DACs. Shanling M5s has been designed with a bi-directional USB type C interface.
MTouch OS 2.0
Using the new MTouch 2.0 operating system developed by Shanling, the system is totally focused on music playback, making it free from any redundant software that affects sound playback. The MTouch is quick and easy to use, with just a few finger slides on the screen you can control everything.
- Screen: 3.2 inch HD screen
- DSD playback: DSD256
- PCM playback: 768kHz/32bit
- Bluetooth: LDAC (both ways), aptX (launcher only), AAC (both ways)
- Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11b/g/n
- DAC: AK4493EQ x 2
- Amplifier: AD8397 x 2
- Gain: Low gain/high gain
- Supported audio formats: DSF, DFF, ISO, DXD, APE, FLAC, WAV, AIFF, AIF, DTS, MP3, WMA, ACC, OGG, ALAC, MP2, M4C, AC3, M3U, M3U8
- Sampling rate: 44.1kHz - 384kHz
- Output: Single ended output (3.5mm) / balanced output (2.5mm)
- Output power: 130mW@32ohm (3.5mm) / 300mW@32ohm (2.5mm)
- Channel separation: 65dB (32 Ohm) / 85dB (300 Ohm)
- Total harmonic distortion (THD+N): < 0.001%
- Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR): 121dB
- Output impedance: 0.3Ω
- Frequency response: 20Hz - 20kHz (-0.5dB)
- External memory: 512GB TF card
- USB interface: Type-C (USB2.0)
- Battery: Lithium battery for 3400mAH
- Playing time: 16-17 hours (3.5mm) | 9-10 hours (2.5mm)
- Charging time: 3-4 hours
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 117 x 59 x 16 mm
- Net weight: 178g
Check out some reviews of the M5s player - Headfonics / Head-Fi