NAD M12 Direct Digital Preamp/DAC
Built for the future, the M12 is from the new Master series and is neither a typical DAC nor a typical preamplifier. In fact, the M12 is an ultra-high resolution digital audio hub that boasts a full roster of audiophile-grade features. In addition, Modular Design Construction allows new features and functionality to be added now or in the future. These features leverage some of the most advanced digital audio thinking to date, resulting in a truly outstanding product. NAD’s DirectDigital™ processing, as well as a fully balanced Class-A buffer stage, provide amazing accuracy and transparency with a completely silent background. The M12 interfaces with all digital or analogue musical sources, and renders them perfectly to power amplifiers and active loudspeakers with its balanced or single-ended outputs. By adding the M12 to your system, you will finally get to hear your music in the best audio quality possible from every imaginable source, from vinyl to High Res digital.
NAD DirectDigital™ Innovation
DirectDigital™ amplification offers the highest level of performance. The 35-bit data path with 24-bit coefficients and 62-bit accumulation, and dithered truncation back to 35-bits after DSP functions guarantee the overall 24-bit accuracy. With this degree of resolution, all preamp functions can be accomplished with a new level of precision all in the digital domain. Because of the super high resolution, even 24-bit files are processed without truncation or loss of information.
Standard inputs include AES/EBU, Asynchronous 24/192 USB, coaxial and optical digital inputs and balanced and single-ended line level inputs including a high performance MC/MM phono stage. Rounding out the picture, a pure Class-A buffer using the latest generation of Super OP Amps provide low impedance balanced and single-ended connections to power amplifiers or active loudspeakers. A remote controls all functions and IR repeaters, 12V triggers, and a serial port to make integration with advanced control systems a snap.
Fine Tune Your System
Because of the massive computing power and high-resolution signal path, some interesting features have also been incorporated to further perfect the listening experience. Want to add a subwoofer to your system? The M12 includes a second order high pass and low pass crossover with selectable frequency. You can even select different frequency knees for each filter. This level of flexibility and precision is made possible by NAD's highly perfected DirectDigital architecture. One of NAD’s most innovative technological advancements— Modular Design Construction (MDC)—does away with obsolescence by providing a simple upgrade path to add future features and functionality. M12 owners can add an optional DD HDM-1 HDMI Module with 3 inputs and 1 output (3D video passthrough) and/or the network audio module, DD BluOS, with music management software that is controlled with an iOS or Android device.
Future Forward MDC
The BluOS MDC Module allows streaming of a variety of music services, HD streaming from a NAS device, and TuneIn radio; plus it gives you full control of your music library. Integrated WiFi/Ethernet and aptX Bluetooth™ connections are also offered with the BluOS Module.
Line Level Input
- Input Impedance: 56 kilohm + 220pF
- Input Sensitivity: 40mV (ref. 500mV out)
- Maximum Input Signal: >8Vrms
- Signal/Noise Ratio, A-weighted: >90dB (ref. 500mV in 500mV out, volume set to unity gain, >80dB (ref. 2V out, Volume maximum)
- Channel Separation: >70dB (ref. 1kHz/10kHz)
- Frequency Response: ±0.3dB (ref. 20Hz-20kHz, Tone Controls – On), ±0.3dB (ref. 20Hz-20kHz, Tone Controls – Off)
- Frequency Response (subwoofer out): 10-200Hz (ref. -3dB)
Output, Tone Controls and USB Input
- Maximum Output Level: >8Vrms into 600 Ohms
- THD (CCIF IMD, DIM 100): >0.005% (ref. 20Hz-20kHz, 2V out)
- Balanced: >2Vrms
- Standby Mode: <0.5W
- Digital USB Front/Digital USB Back (USB Type A): MP3/WMA:48kHz, FLAC: 24bit/48kHz
- Computer (USB Type B): 24 bit/192kHz PCM content from PC or Mac
Digital Input (Coaxial, Optical AES/EBU)
- Input Impedance: 75 Ohms (coaxial), 110 Ohms (AES/EBU)
- Sample Rate: 32kHz to 192kHz
- Frequency Response: ±0.5dB (ref. 20Hz-96kHz @ 192kHz)
- Channel Separation: >75dB (ref. 1/3 rated power, 10kHz 4 Ohms)
- Dimensions: (WxHxD) 435 x 133 x 383mm
- Weight: 8.1kg
Check out the brochure - NAD M12 Digital Preamp DAC