To commemorate the 250th anniversary of the birth of Ludwig van Beethoven, Ortofon has announce the release of the 2M Black LVB 250 Exclusive Model.
The 2M Black flagship from Ortofon is widely acknowledged as being one of the best MM cartridges on the market, but at Ortofon being the best doesn’t mean that we can’t get better.
To attain an optimal interaction between compliance and damping, a new rubber compound for the suspension system has been developed.
The new rubber compound formula is based on the Multi Wall Carbon Nano Tubes (MWCNT) highly efficient nano filler. The new MWCNT-based compound offers desirable mechanical properties, which ensure better damping and improve the overall performance of the cartridge.
Also, the new MWCNT rubber compound allows for more environmental-friendly production, adding further benefit. The MWCNT powder is applied in a rubber polymer matrix and not in a powdered form, which makes the production process more clean, non-polluting and energy saving.
The 2M Black LVB 250 has been recreated from the concepts of its predecessor, the 2M Black, but the 2M Black LVB 250 performance takes one step further to enhance the cartridge’s capabilities and technical excellence.
The 2M Black LVB 250 uses a Nude Shibata diamond on a Boron cantilever, the combination known from the acclaimed MC Cadenza Black cartridge.
The Nude Shibata stylus’ slim, highly polished profile allows an exceedingly wide contact area to the groove walls and ensures notably detailed reproduction throughout the spectrum, including even the highest frequencies.
The use of an extremely stiff and lightweight Boron cantilever adds remarkable transparency, speed and responsiveness.
- Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec: 5 mV
- Channel balance at 1 kHz: < 1 dB
- Channel separation at 1 kHz: > 27 dB
- Channel separation at 15 kHz: 15 dB
- Frequency response: 20-20.000 + 2 / - 1 dB
- Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force: 80 µm
- Compliance, dynamic, lateral: 22 µm/mN
- Stylus type: Nude Shibata
- Stylus tip radius: r/R 6/50 µm
- Cantilever material: Boron
- Tracking force range: 1.5-1.7 g (15-17 mN)
- Tracking force, recommended: 1.6 g (16 mN)
- Tracking angle: 20°
- Internal impedance, DC resistance: 1.2 kOhm
- Internal inductance: 630 mH
- Recommended load resistance: 47 kOhm
- Recommended load capacitance: 150-300 pF
- Cartridge colour, body/stylus: Black/Black
- Cartridge weight: 7.2 g
- Replacement stylus unit: 2M Black LVB 250
- Interchangeable styli units: 2M Black and 2M Bronze
- 2M Series styli interchangeability: The 2M Series' engines, coils and magnets configurations are not identical: Red and Blue are identical, so are the Bronze and Black and so are the true mono variants 2M Mono and 2M 78. Likewise, 2M series styli are interchangeable within the below combinations:
- 2M Red, 2M Blue and 2M Silver
- 2M Bronze, 2M Black and 2M Black LVB 250
- 2M Mono and 2M 78
You can view more information on the 2M Series here - 2M Black LVB Brochure
Or check out some reviews - Audio Review / Stereonet