Pro-Ject Xtension 12 Evolution
After eighteen years of turntable manufacturing for analog lovers on a budget, Pro-Ject are delighted to announce their first deck not subscribed to budgetary limitations; and boy does it deliver.
Xtension utilises new magnetic feet, which almost completely decouple the main plinth. Combine this with the weighty 25kg total mass of the turntable, and the listener benefits from minimal base resonance. This is a unique combination of 'mass loaded' and 'floating turntable' design principals.
In keeping with these principles, the platter is metal due to its higher mass than acrylic. Pro-Ject found a perfect alloy which they have dampened on the inner side with Sorbothane. They glue recycled Vinyl records to the top (which act as a perfect mat) and bake this 'sandwich' before precision balancing it. The final product subsequently benefits from a wonderfully resonance-free, heavy platter.
Another consideration was the amount of energy the tonearm base would have to take from arm and cartridge movement. These energies have to be controlled, as do those from the motor and the bearing (they have to be kept away from the tonearm to avoid interference). Consequently, the tonearm base on the Xtension also benefits from 'high-mass' technologies, and is isolated from the main board by a sheet of Sorbothane.
Importantly though, this board is still able to incorporate the adoption of different tonearms. As we originally premised with this turntable, to be in keeping with its 'classic' ethos, the Xtension comes with a beautiful dustcover with adjustable hinges, as well as several finish options in a high-gloss lacquer. Ultimately, the Xtension truly delivers a timelessly classic, exclusive analogue experience.
- Clear Perspex Lid included
- Super-heavy 25 kg mass load magnetic floating belt drive design
- Sorbothane damped ultra precise balanced Sandwich platter out of special alloy combined with Vinyl
- Brass record puck
- Ultra low noise motor highest selection
- Magnet supported, inverted main bearing Type Block 1 with ceramic thrust-pad
- Integrated Speed Box SE for super silent motordrive and electronically switchable speed
- Metal-granulate filled plinth for universal damping
- Mass loaded interchangeable armboard
- Height adjustable magnet supported feets for perfect isolation
- Gold-plated RCA phono sockets
Check out the brochure - Pro-Ject Xtension 12 Evolution
This turntable does not include a cartridge.
Pro-Ject Xtension 12 Evolution in Gloss Olive
Pro-Ject Xtension 12 Evolution in Gloss Black
Pro-Ject Xtension 12 Evolution in Gloss Mahogany